my computer no work!

Ask, seek or teach about scripting, modding and mapping, as well as technical computer software/hardware issues. If you have any suggestions about our servers and what are on them feel free to share.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Site Admins

my computer no work!

Postby sphinx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:27 am

So I finally got a power supply for my BADLY starved computer only to have my motherboard fail a week later. Well I got a new motherboard/CPU and 4gs of ram (kept my GFX card) and put it together tonite, well i hit the power button and it starts up but nothing displays or works externally?

My stuff off the power supply runs, and so do my fans, but mouse, keyboard, monitor get no signal... I went threw wires over and over everything appears to be hooked up right, it just won't boot or read... I know my hard drive was failing but even switched it with my bros empty spare one and no boot or external reading of things...

The computer was from 2006 and had minor mods on stock mains aka added ram & gfx card.

Specs
Now it has an AMD motherboard/CPU Athlon 2
4gs of DDR3 (barrowing from my bro til i have money for a HD and ram) *the rams good too switched it*
550 watt PS
my 5770HD sapphire card
my failing 320gb HD (only 110gbs, reads now :evil: )

Notes:
I'm no pro at this stuff I'm out dated with what i do know tho, so any advice try to put it in not so complex words.
We tried booting from a disk, 2 HD's, switching ram, and using USB ports that HAD power and ran my external HD.

So I'm lost and out of idea's.... My nerdy bro also can't come up with anything i haven't tried.... We think its something hooked up wrong still as everything is new, but not ruling out the chance of a defective piece.

WTF! K rant over need helps kbye :? OH and thanks for any input 8-)
sphinx
STFU Manager

Re: my computer no work!

Postby Kakashi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:57 am

Make sure that your RAM are in the proper slots on your motherboard, or if one slot of RAM isn't working properly it can screw up the channeling (Or whatever you call it). Try switching them, or taking one out and trying to see if it runs better. This is usually the reason certain thing's don't display right. I've had this problem before, so I am pretty sure this will fix it for you.
Kakashi
ThePwned Stalker

Postby Zak » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:52 am

Make sure all the power plugs are plugged in correctly. The motherboard should have the 20+4 pin (either 2 rows of 12, or 2 rows of 10 with a connected 2x2 on the end) and also a separate 2x2. The video card needs a 3x2 as well.

Try booting with just 1 stick of RAM, like Kakashi said. If it doesn't work the first time, try just the other stick.

Try using onboard video instead of a video card if your computer has onboard video at all. This will sound stupid, but also make sure you're plugging your monitor into the video card and not the onboard video. The onboard video won't display anything if a video card is plugged in.

It has nothing to do with the hard drive or DVD drive. If nothing's showing on your monitor, then something isn't working or configured properly or something is broken.

Kakashi wrote:thing's

Try using apostrophes correctly.
Zak
ThePwned Guru

Postby sphinx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:40 pm

Well it boots up with no ram and gfx card, so might be wired wrong somewhere, I had 2 plugs what i thought was front UBS and multi media unhooked and wouldn't boot up. Plug them in and it powers up....(it wouldn't even power up with them unplugged). So time to check plugs I guess...
sphinx
STFU Manager

Postby Kakashi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:54 am

sphinx wrote:Well it boots up with no ram and gfx card, so might be wired wrong somewhere, I had 2 plugs what i thought was front UBS and multi media unhooked and wouldn't boot up. Plug them in and it powers up....(it wouldn't even power up with them unplugged). So time to check plugs I guess...

Have you made sure that your RAM is all actually compatible? (Same type of models of RAM).
Kakashi
ThePwned Stalker

Postby sphinx » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:23 am

Yes.^
sphinx
STFU Manager

Return to Help, Tutorials, and Suggestions